Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Register Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Nepenthesis's Avatar
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 46
Default When Do Most Paphs Bloom?

Is there a certain season or temperature/light level that most paphs bloom in?

Most of the paphs I have and/or are on their way are multifloral. I think they're all hybrids, all of them containing at least one of the following as a parent: sanderianum, philippinense, rothschildianum.

Thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Zone: 2a
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 586
Male
Default

On top of this page, there are 3 tables for the blooming season of each species. According to the tables, more species seem to bloom in spring to early summer. I don't know about artificial hybrids, but it may help to look up the parental species.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
jeremyinsf's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Zone: 10b
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 835
Male
Default

Can you tell us a bit more about how you are growing them? And what their individual hybrid mixes are?

I have some multi-florals pushing out spikes now, in part because I grow under lights. Almost all multis want more light than the other paphs. They also like to be kept a bit warmer.

The website Naoki gave you is one of the best to learn about the individual species.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Nepenthesis's Avatar
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyinsf View Post
Can you tell us a bit more about how you are growing them? And what their individual hybrid mixes are?

I have some multi-florals pushing out spikes now, in part because I grow under lights. Almost all multis want more light than the other paphs. They also like to be kept a bit warmer.

The website Naoki gave you is one of the best to learn about the individual species.
Growing conditions:

- 70-84F days (depending on season)
- 54F nights (high 50s in summer)

- 60% humidity low during day
- 90% at night

- Equal mix of sun and shade, 50% shade cloth in summer, suitable for low-light tropicals

List of hybrids:

1. Paph. Julius (rothschildianum 'New Bear' x lowii BM/TPS)
2. Paph. Shin-Yi Prince (Prince Edward of York x sanderianum)
3. Paph. Memoria Gordon Peters (Paph. Julius Irving 'At Last' x philippinense fma. alboflavum' Sterling')
4. Paph. rothschildianum 'Raye' x Paph rothschildianum 'Chester Hills' AM/AOS
5. Paph. sanderianum 'Dark Beauty' x sanderianum 'Newberry Tresses'

There is one other on my paph grow list but it is a sequential bloomer that is already blooming size.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
jeremyinsf's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Zone: 10b
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 835
Male
Default

Just curious - which sequential do you have? And I'm excited to see your Julius when it happens. I'm probably going to get a Bernice at some point.

Having said that, temp at night is just a bit low imho, but the plants can adapt. Most growers that I know 'chill' their multis down to 55 when they want to trigger a spike (i.e. to get them to bloom early in time for Mother's Day) but they don't grow them that low in general.

Both the Roth and Sandie (as you know from our other threads) especially *usually* require to be a certain size before they will bloom. On paper, they should be spring/summer bloomers though.

I'm sure you realize already, that you picked some of the 'toughest' ones to grow, in general. But don't let that stop you - and I'd be the last to discourage you. They might just take a bit more patience to grow and get the right size. I'd go with the 'lots of light' model.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:05 PM
littlefrog's Avatar
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 945
Default

They bloom a week after the show, or six months away from the thing you want to cross it with...

Seriously I see more blooms in the spring and fall, but in my very mixed collection there are always several things blooming. They don't seem very seasonal to me. Had several different multiflorals all spike up at the same time in late october this year.
__________________
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
1) There is always room for one more orchid
2) There is always room for two more orchids
2a) See rule 1
3) When one has insufficient credit to purchase more orchids, obtain more credit
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Default

My experience is paphs simply bloom when a particular growth matures. This can be any time of the year. The growth will produce a bud and perhaps a month later a new growth begins. Old plants which remain undivided will have many new growths all the time and can be in bloom a large portion of the year. An old P. niveum of mine is beginning to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Nepenthesis's Avatar
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyinsf View Post
Just curious - which sequential do you have? And I'm excited to see your Julius when it happens. I'm probably going to get a Bernice at some point.

Having said that, temp at night is just a bit low imho, but the plants can adapt. Most growers that I know 'chill' their multis down to 55 when they want to trigger a spike (i.e. to get them to bloom early in time for Mother's Day) but they don't grow them that low in general.

Both the Roth and Sandie (as you know from our other threads) especially *usually* require to be a certain size before they will bloom. On paper, they should be spring/summer bloomers though.

I'm sure you realize already, that you picked some of the 'toughest' ones to grow, in general. But don't let that stop you - and I'd be the last to discourage you. They might just take a bit more patience to grow and get the right size. I'd go with the 'lots of light' model.
The sequential is P. moquettianum 'Pine Knot' x self. The Julius is in low spike right now according to the eBay ad. It was just emerging as of 6 January, 2014. I'm not sure how fast they shoot up... Hopefully it'll open shortly after I receive it.

I know it is quite a bit low... Nepenthes grow in the same area, and many of these paphs seem to grow at lowland elevations (according to that data sheet linked to above). I've grown lowland Nepenthes in my greenhouse (in which I grow almost exclusively highland Nepenthes) and they survive well. They slow down in winter, but in summer they grow very fast.

I thought paphs get sun burned easily? The two I have in the greenhouse look fine so far. They get a fair amount of sun. Should grow faster than in a windowsill, I would hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefrog View Post
They bloom a week after the show, or six months away from the thing you want to cross it with...

Seriously I see more blooms in the spring and fall, but in my very mixed collection there are always several things blooming. They don't seem very seasonal to me. Had several different multiflorals all spike up at the same time in late october this year.
Hah! That first line cracked me up. That bugs me about my Nepenthes two. They all bloom in the same season, but some are too early and some are too late. I can't really choose, all I can't do it randomly pollinate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:56 AM
jeremyinsf's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Zone: 10b
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 835
Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthesis View Post
I thought paphs get sun burned easily? The two I have in the greenhouse look fine so far. They get a fair amount of sun. Should grow faster than in a windowsill, I would hope.
They do with direct sun - in a greenhouse, you will know it's too much light if they start to bleach out in the leaves or get red, or brown (dry) tips.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phals in bloom! pasojanice Orchids in Bloom 13 10-07-2013 09:10 AM
How do paphs bloom? Cewal Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 8 01-30-2011 07:44 PM
2 paphs in bloom Lagoon Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 15 06-26-2009 09:24 PM
Paphs in bloom. jim blanford Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 0 10-15-2008 11:47 AM
Paphs in bloom. jim blanford Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 6 12-12-2007 10:34 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0