Winter hardy orchids?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Winter hardy orchids?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #21  
Old 06-14-2024, 05:47 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,911
Winter hardy orchids? Male
Default

I recently acquired an Epi magnoliae (from Andy's) that he said was rescued from a magnolia tree 60 miles inland from the NC coast. Being as I'm on the coast, I thought it might be worth an experiment.

It's growing like mad in the summer heat... Time will tell.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Waterdog111 liked this post
  #22  
Old 06-14-2024, 06:53 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 13,233
Winter hardy orchids? Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I recently acquired an Epi magnoliae (from Andy's) that he said was rescued from a magnolia tree 60 miles inland from the NC coast. Being as I'm on the coast, I thought it might be worth an experiment.

It's growing like mad in the summer heat... Time will tell.
This is, I think, the farthest north for natural range of any epiphytic native orchid in the US. Of course we humans can grow all sorts of epiphytes, but have to intervene in cultivation with regard to temperature or water or both. This one seems to be able to manage both chill and seasonal dryness, accepts whatever Mother Nature provides.
__________________
Orchids teach patience!

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for JUNE 2024)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Waterdog111 liked this post
  #23  
Old 06-15-2024, 05:32 AM
Kittyfrex Kittyfrex is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Brač, Croatia
Age: 30
Posts: 18
Winter hardy orchids? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I grow my Mediterranean-climate terrestrials in a mostly-inorganic mix (about 80-85% pumice and the balance a well-drained potting soil like cactus mix) I use pumice rather than perlite since when the pots are dry during the summer, they need the extra weight to not blow over.
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to grow locals in media they are found in? I know why you wouldn't use outside stuff for your tropical orchids and what not, but it seems as if in this specific case at least a partial soil seems to have benefits (ie. presence of ecologically intertwined fungi, plants, bacter etc.)

@Subrosa i am even considering mixing whatever substrate i decide on with more chips, perlite or such. The orchid i mentioned mostly grows (in these parts) on inclines, where a thin layer of soil, pine needles, mosses and other plant debree cover stone. While i don't need to interfear with temperature or humidity, i am afraid any kind of container could end up retaining too much water, especially since i am yet to find it in a location that recieves more than 5 to 6 hours of sun mid summer.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-15-2024, 11:22 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 13,233
Winter hardy orchids? Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfrex View Post
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to grow locals in media they are found in? I know why you wouldn't use outside stuff for your tropical orchids and what not, but it seems as if in this specific case at least a partial soil seems to have benefits (ie. presence of ecologically intertwined fungi, plants, bacter etc.)
If you live in the actual environment, you can obtain local soil. But, for instance, I purchase the terrestrials as dormant tubers. Any visible soil has to be cleaned off for import. (They apparently can store a bit of the mycorrhizae within the tuber, because they do establish in their new home) Then, the choice of medium is based on function... it needs to have the characteristics of its home soil such as drainage, organic matter or lack of it, etc. But it's that intimate relationship between the terrestrial orchids and their environment that makes them nearly impossible to cultivate. Another reason to not take them from the wild! The seed-grown ones that I purchase have already adapted to an artificial environment.
__________________
Orchids teach patience!

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for JUNE 2024)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
Kittyfrex Kittyfrex is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Brač, Croatia
Age: 30
Posts: 18
Winter hardy orchids? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
If you live in the actual environment, you can obtain local soil. But, for instance, I purchase the terrestrials as dormant tubers. Any visible soil has to be cleaned off for import. (They apparently can store a bit of the mycorrhizae within the tuber, because they do establish in their new home) Then, the choice of medium is based on function... it needs to have the characteristics of its home soil such as drainage, organic matter or lack of it, etc. But it's that intimate relationship between the terrestrial orchids and their environment that makes them nearly impossible to cultivate. Another reason to not take them from the wild! The seed-grown ones that I purchase have already adapted to an artificial environment.
I would never take an adult specimen, especially not of something rare, as i said before. And to be quite frank, if i collect seeds and even one sprouts, it can be considered conservation, as there are fewer each year (in this microlocation).
As for the medium... once the season comes, i intend to use roughly 50/70% soil from the location and the rest something more granular that helps with drainage and air retention, as the same soil does not behave exactley the same in a pot and in..soil?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
climate, late, orchids, plant, winter


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring 2015 project: PLANT SUGGESTIONS camille1585 Member Projects 97 04-18-2015 12:37 PM
Book list Graehstone Orchid Lounge 25 11-09-2013 09:27 AM
Spring 2012 project- PLANT SUGGESTIONS camille1585 Member Projects 551 04-04-2012 06:12 PM
Winter orchids and showers? angeleyedcat Beginner Discussion 2 09-23-2009 04:55 PM
Home and hardy orchids in bloom moria0672 Miscellaneous & Other Genera 9 06-12-2007 02:03 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.