Roots and calcium
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Roots and calcium
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #41  
Old 01-12-2021, 01:23 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is online now
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 6,219
Roots and calcium Female
Default

I think that you are correct... you do the best that you can do - we all make compromises. In a few months, you will get rain, which will help the situation a lot.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists (New page for February 2021)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-21-2021, 01:28 AM
Kollba Kollba is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 42
Roots and calcium
Default

Maybe someone is interested in an update:

Yesterday I got a pH meter (not the cheapest one) and today I calibrated it with the attached "calibration powder" dissolved in distilled water.
I got very surprised when I noticed that the distilled water had a pH of 5.8, because I was convinced that it should be very close to 7, so I started to doubt the meter. Then I found a couple of webpages saying that distilled water very fast absorb carbon dioxide from the air and stabilize at a pH around 5.8.
So... My water has pH 6.8, EC 1270 and TDS 636.
The EC/TDS shows that I have more dissolved minerals in my water than I want, and the pH could be a little bit lower.
I tested water + vinegar and found that 10 ml per liter water gives a pH of 5.1 which I have started to use on a few leaves and 2 orchid roots.
I will be back in some weeks (months ?) with the result of this test.

Last edited by Kollba; 01-21-2021 at 03:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-21-2021, 04:08 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Administrator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 12,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollba View Post
Maybe someone is interested in an update:

Yesterday I got a pH meter (not the cheapest one) and today I calibrated it with the attached "calibration powder" dissolved in distilled water.
I got very surprised when I noticed that the distilled water had a pH of 5.8, because I was convinced that it should be very close to 7, so I started to doubt the meter. Then I found a couple of webpages saying that distilled water very fast absorb carbon dioxide from the air and stabilize at a pH around 5.8.
So... My water has pH 6.8, EC 1270 and TDS 636.
The EC/TDS shows that I have more dissolved minerals in my water than I want, and the pH could be a little bit lower.
I tested water + vinegar and found that 10 ml per liter water gives a pH of 5.1 which I have started to use on a few leaves and 2 orchid roots.
I will be back in some weeks (months ?) with the result of this test.
I'm not sure I quite follow.... You tested the pH of distilled water, with came out to 5.8. What does the second measurement (pH 6.8, EC 1270 and TDS 636) correspond to then? If this is distilled water+fertilizer, you can reduce the EC and TDS by using less fertilizer.

A pH of 5,1 is rather low and 5,8 (or 6,8 if that isn't a typo) would be preferable. Honestly, unless your pH is really too high or too low it's perfectly acceptable to use the water as it is.
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,399
Roots and calcium Male
Default

I agree with Camille, but will add that you should not trust that TDS reading.

If we assume your distilled water is essentially mineral-free, then all of the EC is coming from the fertilizer.

I don’t know the formula you’re using, but at 100 ppm N - a reasonable level for weekly feeding - MSU RO (Rain Mix is a European knock off) will have an EC contribution of 800 microSiemens/cm and a true TDS of 740 ppm.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-21-2021, 09:00 AM
Dusty Ol' Man Dusty Ol' Man is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2020
Zone: 10a
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Age: 66
Posts: 207
Default

I believe he said the distilled water test was used only to calibrate the meter. The other numbers are for his tap water.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM
Kollba Kollba is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 42
Roots and calcium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
I'm not sure I quite follow.... You tested the pH of distilled water, with came out to 5.8. What does the second measurement (pH 6.8, EC 1270 and TDS 636) correspond to then?

A pH of 5,1 is rather low and 5,8 (or 6,8 if that isn't a typo) would be preferable. Honestly, unless your pH is really too high or too low it's perfectly acceptable to use the water as it is.
It is implied from previous posts that "my water" is the water from my well that I am using for my orchids and have problems with.

Using a lower pH (water + vinegar) is a test to see if it can remove (or reduce) the coating of lime on the orchid roots.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Ol' Man View Post
I believe he said the distilled water test was used only to calibrate the meter. The other numbers are for his tap water.
Correct.
Maybe I was a bit unclear there...

It was just a curiosity because I always thought that distilled water kept PH 7.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-21-2021, 01:53 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,399
Roots and calcium Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollba View Post
It was just a curiosity because I always thought that distilled water kept PH 7.
You're earlier comment about the absorption of carbon dioxide is right on. At the 400 ppm average CO2 content of the air these days, the equilibrium pH is in the 5.7-5.8 range, but the carbonic acid that is formed is such a weak acid that pretty much anything else that is added to the water completely overwhelms it.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
calcium, dry, option, roots, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oncidium Hilo Sparkler not growing - why? twinkie Beginner Discussion 17 12-29-2020 06:14 PM
Alan Koch, Gold Country Orchids, DVOS 2017 02 16 estación seca Advanced Discussion 16 01-27-2020 12:16 AM
Fertilizer Measuring TDS EC Osmolality Osmolarity Water Quality estación seca Beginner Discussion 2 08-20-2017 09:30 AM
Caring for Twinkle Orchids? Jenni929 Beginner Discussion 3 01-10-2016 11:32 PM
Newbie 2 months and 9 orchids in... rosemadder Semi-Hydroponic Culture 12 05-04-2013 06:07 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.