Recommending heating pad
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Recommending heating pad
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 11-27-2020, 09:27 PM
nuriko1set nuriko1set is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 38
Recommending heating pad
Default Recommending heating pad

Hello!
Can anyone recommend a good plant heating pad? I would prefer a water proof one, since all my plants are on top of a shelf and when I water I allow the water to run down to the container below. Please picture:Recommending heating pad-wechatimg978-jpg

I have mainly Phalaenopsis and Cattleya orchids, with 1 Dendrobium nobile.

I saw this one on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y19H2LC...ustomerReviews

Does anyone know anything about it? or maybe can recommend other ones? I base my purchases on Amazon reviews, however I feel more and more that a lot of reviews are fake. So I feel they are less reliant. If anyone has other vendors that they can recommend that would be great too, thanks so much!

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Fuerte Rav liked this post
  #2  
Old 11-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,418
Recommending heating pad Male
Default

One like THIS is what you're looking fpr
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes Fuerte Rav, N/A liked this post
  #3  
Old 11-28-2020, 10:42 AM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,066
Default

I have a couple of the ones Ray posted, and they work well. I do like the one you posted also... I like the idea of all the different sizes they come in. May need to check into that once mine eventually croak.
__________________
Caveat: Everything suggested is based on my environment and culture. Please adjust accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2020, 01:48 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Recommending heating pad
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 12,084
Recommending heating pad Male
Default

You can put heavy landscape plastic sheeting over the mat to keep it dry. Leave the overhanging sides long. Put the heat mat on top of a slab of polystyrene foam building insulation. You can easily cut this to size with a knife.

I have also extended the heating surface by placing the a large metal automotive oil drip pan over the mat and filling the pan with a layer of sand. The insulation layer was the size of the oil pan. These pans are not expensive at auto parts stores. The mat can't be tiny in relation to the pan, but you can certainly double the heated surface this way.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Orchidtinkerer Orchidtinkerer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 379
Recommending heating pad
Default

estacion, feel free to do that at home but I feel what you have described is a fire risk.
Heat mats can heat up, trapping the heat can create hot spots that can get hot enough to burn the mat, there is no sensor inside the mat to stop it overheating.
I have never managed to burn a mat and I place pots and everything else on it but I have heard plenty of people burning a hole into their mat - polystyrene on one side and a pan of sand on the other would be the best way to try.

Sand is highly insulating and would prevent the heat escaping.

Last edited by Orchidtinkerer; 11-28-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 AM
nuriko1set nuriko1set is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 38
Recommending heating pad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
One like THIS is what you're looking fpr
thank you Ray! I am ordering it now!

Do you all put it underneath the pots? what if I put it like an enclosure (fence) around the pots instead of underneath it? Does anyone have unique ways of placing these mats? I'm trying to keep my airy, so there's air flow. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2020, 08:57 AM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,066
Default

Under the pots, Nuriko. The purpose is to provide extra warmth for the medium and root zone.
__________________
Caveat: Everything suggested is based on my environment and culture. Please adjust accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Orchidtinkerer Orchidtinkerer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 379
Recommending heating pad
Default

I know this thread asks for a heating pad.
At the time I didn't answer it too well.
To be honest for the purpose a heating pad would not do much.

A heating pad is only effective when the heat can be trapped, so in a seedling propagation tray is what plant heat mats are designed for.

They are designed to heat 10cm above the mat.

If you have a 20cm pot and a 40cm Cattleya on top a heat mat will raise the temp for the plant by about 0.1 degrees C

The next step up would be a reptile heat mat which are designed to run hotter than a seedling plant mat.

But even they cannot raise the temp in a room enough to make a difference.

The next step is a retile heating cable but I've never bothered with them as you would need to run a cable all over.

The next step is a greenhouse tubular heater - I have heard they can be hard to find in the us - it can be hard to find a decent one in Europe too but Amazon usually sells them.

Next step is a portable space heater but they start to guzzle electricity and will heat the entire room.

It depends how much the temperature needs to be raised by.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes N/A liked this post
  #9  
Old 12-11-2020, 03:32 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is online now
Administrator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 12,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidtinkerer View Post
I know this thread asks for a heating pad.
At the time I didn't answer it too well.
To be honest for the purpose a heating pad would not do much.

A heating pad is only effective when the heat can be trapped, so in a seedling propagation tray is what plant heat mats are designed for.

They are designed to heat 10cm above the mat.

If you have a 20cm pot and a 40cm Cattleya on top a heat mat will raise the temp for the plant by about 0.1 degrees C

The next step up would be a reptile heat mat which are designed to run hotter than a seedling plant mat.

But even they cannot raise the temp in a room enough to make a difference.

The next step is a retile heating cable but I've never bothered with them as you would need to run a cable all over.

The next step is a greenhouse tubular heater - I have heard they can be hard to find in the us - it can be hard to find a decent one in Europe too but Amazon usually sells them.

Next step is a portable space heater but they start to guzzle electricity and will heat the entire room.

It depends how much the temperature needs to be raised by.

Actually, the purpose of a heat mat isn't so much to warm the air around the plant or seedling, but to warm the root zone. The optimal soil temperature for germination of many common plants is in the 20-25°C range. The dome on the seedling trays is more for humidity than heat retention, though that is also important.

For established plants, increasing root zone temperature will stimulate root growth, and most commercial potted plant growers will use bottom heat (either in the form of pipes of hot water under benches, or in the sand under the ground tarp.). The botton heating will warm the pots/substrate and reasearch has shown that by increasing the root temperature, root growth is stimulated and plants can continue to have optimal growth at a lower air temperature. For professional growers this is a huge saving in heating costs as bottom heat is much cheaper than heating air. This works quite well, though it not meant to compensate for extremely low air temps compared to the optimal range.

It could very well be that the more airy bark substrates that orchids are grown don't conduct the bottom heat as well as peat based substrates, but I still think that heat mats serve a purpose, and this could be tested by taking temperature readings inside pots.
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
  #10  
Old 12-13-2020, 10:52 PM
nuriko1set nuriko1set is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 38
Recommending heating pad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWitchin View Post
Under the pots, Nuriko. The purpose is to provide extra warmth for the medium and root zone.
thank you waterWitchin! I didn't know if the warmth was for root or stem! Knowing it's roots makes more sense!

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidtinkerer View Post
I know this thread asks for a heating pad.


They are designed to heat 10cm above the mat.
Thank you Orchidtinkerer for making so much effort to answer my questions! I think maybe 10cm might be enough? I think it'll be helpful to heat the root zone up to around 70 F. My overall temp at home is around 65, a bit chilly even for me, I'm sure the plants are not happy with that.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
Actually, the purpose of a heat mat isn't so much to warm the air around the plant or seedling, but to warm the root zone. The optimal soil temperature for germination of many common plants is in the 20-25°C range. The dome on the seedling trays is more for humidity than heat retention, though that is also important.

For established plants, increasing root zone temperature will stimulate root growth, and most commercial potted plant growers will use bottom heat (either in the form of pipes of hot water under benches, or in the sand under the ground tarp.). The botton heating will warm the pots/substrate and reasearch has shown that by increasing the root temperature, root growth is stimulated and plants can continue to have optimal growth at a lower air temperature. For professional growers this is a huge saving in heating costs as bottom heat is much cheaper than heating air. This works quite well, though it not meant to compensate for extremely low air temps compared to the optimal range.

It could very well be that the more airy bark substrates that orchids are grown don't conduct the bottom heat as well as peat based substrates, but I still think that heat mats serve a purpose, and this could be tested by taking temperature readings inside pots.
thank you for the information Camille! It's good to have the confirmation of root and substrate heating is effective! I noticed a lull in growth of some of my orchids, mainly one Phal. The Cattleyas seems to be doing ok. This further confirms my need to raise the temp. a little bit for the plants!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes WaterWitchin liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amazon, heating, pad, recommend, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heating......again claypot Greenhouse Gardening 5 11-13-2019 03:18 PM
Heating 180 gal tank with coils/cords? tropterrarium Terrarium Gardening 5 12-02-2012 08:52 PM
Polyhouse heating for Orchids kaarthiik Beginner Discussion 3 10-24-2012 11:19 AM
cost of heating a green house in the winter ericst11 Greenhouse Gardening 4 10-02-2009 02:00 PM
Small greenhouse heating Aceetobe Greenhouse Gardening 2 12-02-2008 09:12 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.