Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM
JenelleJeanoel JenelleJeanoel is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Question Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?

Hello! I'm brand new to this board, so I'll introduce myself -- my name is Leah, and I'm a fairly new orchid owner. My phalaenopsis orchid is on its second cycle of blooming since I got it. I am in a basement apartment, so my window doesn't get any light, and it was starting to die, so I got a plant lamp. After a few weeks of using it, the orchid started to perk up and the leaves stopped drooping. I'm at two months of using the lamp and now my orchid has developed five keikis, four on the base of the new flower bloom and one at the root of the plant by the leaves (photo below). I did some research and found that keikis are baby orchids that will grow roots and leaves of their own, and that many orchid growers love keikis and even want them. They grow from stress on the plant, but not always -- there are lots of reasons. Is that information correct? I don't really know what to do about my orchid. Should I remove the keikis or let them grow? Is their location damaging? What is causing them and how do you suggest I change that, if I should? Thank you so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?-20190706_084445-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 10,338
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do? Male
Default

Some species are naturally "keiki factories", while,for others it can be a sign of stressful conditions.

Once they get about 4" of total root length (that one looks to qualify), just snap it off the spike and pot it up.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
shop.firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:38 PM
OrcishOrchids OrcishOrchids is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 8a
Posts: 18
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Default

How is the mother plant doing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 AM
IngieBee IngieBee is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 9b
Location: San Fernando Valley, California
Posts: 121
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Default

Don't snap it off yet if that's a flower spike growing off it???!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Swimmingorchids Swimmingorchids is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 115
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do? Male
Default

hi leah,
I'm just starting out myself but have had plenty of time to do research so hope I can help a little.
I am glad you found a good grow light - from what you describe it is doing its job as it should be. First time I used a grow light I burned my plant. They are not as hardy as my tomatoes...
Like you say other people would love to get some keikis - me included lol.

As to the plant being stressed - possibly. I am looking at the purpling under the keiki leaf as the most likely indicator. It could be a sign of too much light but it could possibly be from too low temps. Do you know what the night time temp drops to? Can you get a max min thermometer to keep an eye on it? They like 22C during the day and 18C at night and should not go below 16C.

If temps are fine, try moving your light a little bit further away from the plant. The purpling is not as bad as the full on sunburn I created but it might be an early indicator either light is too intense or temp too low.

Either way it sounds like it is doing much better than it was and hope it does ok.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:01 PM
JenelleJeanoel JenelleJeanoel is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Some species are naturally "keiki factories", while,for others it can be a sign of stressful conditions.

Once they get about 4" of total root length (that one looks to qualify), just snap it off the spike and pot it up.
Ooh, thank you Ray! Did not know that. Good to know I can repot it now instead of later!

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingorchids View Post
hi leah,
I'm just starting out myself but have had plenty of time to do research so hope I can help a little.
I am glad you found a good grow light - from what you describe it is doing its job as it should be. First time I used a grow light I burned my plant. They are not as hardy as my tomatoes...
Like you say other people would love to get some keikis - me included lol.

As to the plant being stressed - possibly. I am looking at the purpling under the keiki leaf as the most likely indicator. It could be a sign of too much light but it could possibly be from too low temps. Do you know what the night time temp drops to? Can you get a max min thermometer to keep an eye on it? They like 22C during the day and 18C at night and should not go below 16C.

If temps are fine, try moving your light a little bit further away from the plant. The purpling is not as bad as the full on sunburn I created but it might be an early indicator either light is too intense or temp too low.

Either way it sounds like it is doing much better than it was and hope it does ok.
Thank you! I'm not sure what the temperature is, but the room thermostat ranges from 65 to 70 degrees F. I think the purpling you're referring to is on the flower bloom? The keikis don't have leaves as far as I can tell; the leaves at the bottom of the picture are from the mother plant.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM
OrchidBro's Avatar
OrchidBro OrchidBro is online now
Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 9b
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 47
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do? Male
Default

The leaves at the TOP of the picture belong to the keiki, as well as those 4 little roots coming out of it. The "purpling" could also be natural and judging from the picture should be nothing to worry about. Lots of orchid leaves can have a slight purple tinge on them, especially as they grow from tiny leaves to big, mature leaves. Higher light levels tend to intensify this "purpling" affect. IMO, nothing to worry about with the purple underside of the keiki leaf (I personally look for orchids with "purpling" in the leaves as I like the color contrast).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:34 PM
JenelleJeanoel JenelleJeanoel is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidBro View Post
The leaves at the TOP of the picture belong to the keiki, as well as those 4 little roots coming out of it. The "purpling" could also be natural and judging from the picture should be nothing to worry about. Lots of orchid leaves can have a slight purple tinge on them, especially as they grow from tiny leaves to big, mature leaves. Higher light levels tend to intensify this "purpling" affect. IMO, nothing to worry about with the purple underside of the keiki leaf (I personally look for orchids with "purpling" in the leaves as I like the color contrast).
Ooh really? I thought that those small leaves were a flower bloom. The leaves/flower bloom came first out of the stake and then those other things appeared, which I thought were the keiki. Are those things jutting out actually roots? I'm confused haha.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:44 PM
OrchidBro's Avatar
OrchidBro OrchidBro is online now
Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 9b
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 47
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do? Male
Default

No, those small leaves AND the roots are the keiki. That "stake" they came out of is the flower spike of the mother plant. I edited your photo a little bit but the leaves are circled in red and the roots are circled in blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phal Keiki.jpg (15.8 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Swimmingorchids Swimmingorchids is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 115
Keikis growing from flower stem - what do I do? Male
Default

ah we both got a bit confused it seems. I thought there were other keiki's that we couldn't see on the picture. So you have 1 keiki I take it. This keiki is producing leaves and I gather 5 roots. The leaves on the mother plant look nice and green. The keiki looks a bit purple which is to be expected if your lamp is positioned directly above your plant. The keiki will be a lot closer to the light and receive far more light. So if you can move the light to the side of your plant so it is a bit closer to the mother plant and a bit further away from the keiki.

edit: or just move the light further away. Artificial light is not like sunlight where everything gets an equal amount. With artificial light the further away from the light the more it diminishes. With small lamps, centimeters can make big changes in light intensity

Last edited by Swimmingorchids; 07-07-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grow, keikis, leaves, orchid, plant


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Epidendrum is growing, but no flower spike. Wade Coleman Beginner Discussion 6 11-10-2018 01:13 PM
Oncidium twinkle keeps growing but no flower spikes Plodde Beginner Discussion 23 11-24-2014 09:56 AM
Shriveling pbulb on Beallara - should I cut the flower stem? aqualady Beginner Discussion 6 07-31-2012 09:26 PM
New to Dendrobium growing - are these flower buds? Hedge Beginner Discussion 41 06-25-2010 05:47 PM
Please help! Question about flower stem trimming Robin the Orchid Lover Beginner Discussion 5 10-13-2008 02:30 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.