Zygopetalum help!
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Zygopetalum help!
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 04-27-2019, 09:38 PM
aliceinwl aliceinwl is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Zone: 9b
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 516
Zygopetalum help! Female
Default

Mine do fine with highs in the mid 70s to low 80s (typical summer highs) but we rarely get warmer than that. I have a watering can by the front door and give any of my high water plants a sprinkle in the morning as I head to work, then everyone gets a real drenching on the weekend. I have a bunch of plants together so I think the volume keeps humidity up. We also occasionally get marine layer at night so that helps too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Senior Member
Zygopetalum help!
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 2,435
Zygopetalum help! Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcheng15 View Post
It's hard to keep track of watering situations for every type of orchid. I need to work out a system. Any thoughts?
I adjust the potting medium for the different types depending on their watering needs, so that I can water a bunch of different ones at the same time. For instance, I have Laelia anceps (mounted or in baskets with minimal media) hanging above the Cymbidiums (in fine bark) - they get the same watering, as often as every day in the heat of summer. The Cyms stay moist and and the L. anceps are dry within 2-3 hours of watering - both are happy. Experience will teach you what the different types need, and then you can adjust the media so that you can water all together, and have each get the result that they want. (That way you only have to make the decision every 2-3 years when you pot, not every day or two when you water)
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 AM
swcheng15 swcheng15 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Zone: 10a
Posts: 29
Zygopetalum help!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarata View Post
With time and practice you'll find your own system. It's just a matter of knowing by experimentation how your plants adapt to your growing conditions.
Monitoring followed by adjustments.
Thanks, Rbarata. I think it's throwing me for a loop bc I'm use to phals, and now I have a few new different ones to learn about. But yes, time and experience.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl View Post
Mine do fine with highs in the mid 70s to low 80s (typical summer highs) but we rarely get warmer than that. I have a watering can by the front door and give any of my high water plants a sprinkle in the morning as I head to work, then everyone gets a real drenching on the weekend. I have a bunch of plants together so I think the volume keeps humidity up. We also occasionally get marine layer at night so that helps too.
THanks, aliceinwl! Good to know. My only thought about putting it outside in the morning (where I have great light, and mostly shade) is that while it's in my front yard, it's not closed off...people can come and take them. It hasn't happened yet to our amazon packages (knock on wood), but it can happen. But maybe in the summer when I'm home from work that might work if I can't figure out how to manage the zygo in my home. Or I find a place in the backyard with shade, which may have to be under the tree... Thanks for making me think and giving me ideas!

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I adjust the potting medium for the different types depending on their watering needs, so that I can water a bunch of different ones at the same time. For instance, I have Laelia anceps (mounted or in baskets with minimal media) hanging above the Cymbidiums (in fine bark) - they get the same watering, as often as every day in the heat of summer. The Cyms stay moist and and the L. anceps are dry within 2-3 hours of watering - both are happy. Experience will teach you what the different types need, and then you can adjust the media so that you can water all together, and have each get the result that they want. (That way you only have to make the decision every 2-3 years when you pot, not every day or two when you water)

Thanks, Roberta! Makes total sense. I did add some moss to the mix, so it can retain a bit more water in between waterings, so hopefully that'll help. I certainly don't want to have to water every plant on a different schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM
swcheng15 swcheng15 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Zone: 10a
Posts: 29
Zygopetalum help!
Default UPDATE!

Update! I repotted the same day with new bark and some sphagnum moss mixture to help keep the media more moist. I also added a layer of leca to help keep the media slightly wet. I've also increased my watering to nearly twice a week, though I will check with layer underneath the leca before I do so. Just wanted to post an update.
Attached Thumbnails
Zygopetalum help!-photogrid_1557095230312-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Senior Member
Zygopetalum help!
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 2,435
Zygopetalum help! Female
Default

I definitely see progress, even in this short time.Well done!
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 PM
swcheng15 swcheng15 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Zone: 10a
Posts: 29
Zygopetalum help!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I definitely see progress, even in this short time.Well done!
Thanks! I agree! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
minutes, pot, watering, window, zygopetalum


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orchids with a strong scent razka3 Beginner Discussion 270 04-08-2019 10:38 AM
Zygopetalum Trozy Blue callym Identification Forum 5 09-28-2018 08:16 PM
zygopetalum??? birdbrain Identification Forum 2 05-13-2018 01:37 AM
Zygopetalum Jumpin Jack Wolf Maxillaria Alliance 3 06-06-2010 04:12 PM
Zygopetalum jugosum? stitz Maxillaria Alliance 7 02-03-2009 09:52 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.