and become
Forum Supporter.

Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle.
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Members Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Today's PostsMeally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle.
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 11-27-2016, 12:24 AM

Unhappy Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle.

A few months ago I noticed those pesty meally bugs on 2 of my Phals. I separated them, watched them and used alcohol to clean off the bugs and cottony larva. Also used Insecticide soap to spray down between the leaves and crevices. I thought the issue was over as I saw nothing for quit a while and suddenly AAARRRRGGGHHHH!! Meally bugs back like over night all over blooms. I now have been spraying down the whole plant with a homemade insecticide of alcohol, water and dish soap. My question is can I use this homemade insecticide solution to pour down into the potting mix ?? I feel almost sure the nasty things have larva down in there. Please Help!! Thank You.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:14 AM

Zone: 9b

You can use your mix on the whole plant, but the alcohol is a drying agent that will need to be rinsed off the roots. Also, this mix will not kill any eggs, so future infestations are pretty likely. You would have to treat weekly for a substantial amount of time. Much better to re-pot to get rid of any nasties in the medium, then continue with your weekly treatment.

Even better, re-pot and then treat with a systemic insecticide. Bayer 3-in-1 is a reliable one that is available in garden centers and hardware stores. You will still need to re-treat once or twice, but the chances of actually getting rid of the bugs are much greater.
Post Thanks / Like - 4 Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Zone: 8a
Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Male

I cannot stress enough the importance of using systemic insecticide such as the Bayer product mentioned. Unpot the plant, clean 100% of the plant including the roots, repot in new pot and medium, wetting the medium first with the systemic insecticide. After repotting, spray the plant weekly with the systemic for at least a month. Treat all plants that were growing near your infested plant in the same manner. Good luck!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes krienschmidt liked this post
Old 11-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Thank you, Thank you. Off to the local garden center for the systemic insecticide or maybe I can find it online.
Likes Orchid Whisperer liked this post
Old 11-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Zone: 8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by krienschmidt View Post
Thank you, Thank you. Off to the local garden center for the systemic insecticide or maybe I can find it online.
Both local and online options should be available. The key ingredient in the Bayer products is Imidacloprid (same chemical is used in Advantage brand flea control). The Bayer 3-in-1 that I can get locally has 0.47% Imidacloprid, in a hose-end spray bottle. I dilute it at a ratio of 12 ml chemical added to produce a pint of liquid at the appropriate dilution for use on orchids.
Likes krienschmidt liked this post
Old 11-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Zone: 10a

Imidacloprid is the way to go. Unpot the plant, clean the roots, apply the systemic everywhere in the plants (roots included), change pots (or apply the systemic all over them), new medium (discart the old one right away), apply the sistemic once a week, for a month.
Lot of work but is needed.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 PM

Got the Bayer 3 in 1...repotting TODAY! thank you everyone.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:18 PM

go to your best local nursery store and ask them how to keep the bugs off your plants.....

Last edited by dounoharm; 11-28-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Old 11-28-2016, 07:33 PM

Zone: 5b
Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle.

dounoharm, I think the reason for the criticism is because people have different experiences with pests. I see it both ways.

I think that if one can expect that one will have reoccurring issues with insects or, for that matter, fungus, it is wise to treat on a schedule. If insects are not a usual occurrence, there is no reason to treat the plants unless a problem does occur.

One of the problems that can occur with regular treatments, however, is that the pests may develop a resistance. My mealy bugs and a certain type of scale seem to have become resistant to the systemic so I am trying Diatomaceous earth. I had some mealy bugs and scale but it seems gone so I think it worked. If not, I have Neem oil to try next.
Likes bil liked this post
Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Meally Bugs HELP!!!! Fighting a battle. Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by krienschmidt View Post
Amazon carries it under Bayer 3 and 1 Concentrated Insect and Mite Control. Another good product I have used is Spectracide 95829 Triazicide Insect Killer, 32-Ounce Concentrate, also available on Amazon.
Likes bil liked this post