Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu



Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > ORCHID DISCUSSIONS > Advanced Discussion
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
CR7cristiano's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,273
Exclamation How do I prevent lizards from eating orchid blooms?

I have noticed some of my orchid blooms and even sometimes the roots of my orchids eaten partially or even completely. These orchids are outside and up until now I had no idea what it was.
Now I managed to catch a lizard in the act of eating a bit of an unopened bloom on my new Vanda spike who's buds have started to separate from the spike and get larger and take on colour.
It actually bit a hole through the unopened bloom, thankfully i caught it in time. Had i realized initially i would have caught it and done away with it.

I need to know how i can either rid the area outside of lizards where the orchids are, or how do I prevent them from eating my orchid blooms; which in turn deforms the otherwise beautiful blooms.

Someone please help ASAP!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Gage's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,500
Male
Default

Sorry to hear that. What kind of lizard? Iguana?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
CR7cristiano's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
Sorry to hear that. What kind of lizard? Iguana?
Nah, some common green lizard with the orangey red tail.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
Default

There are very few lizards that are omnivores Iguana are one. I suspect the lizard was eating something that was eating the flower, or when it grabbed the insect it also took a bite out of the flower. You might try inspecting your orchid for bugs. If it is in fact eating your orchids the only thing that is fool proof is to put it in a inclosure. You can try using a pepper spray, but will have to reapply after watering and rain. I have had problems with squirrels, and mice eating mine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Bud's Avatar
Bud Bud is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Zone: 7b
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 7,396
View Bud's Gallery Male
Default

the buds emit sweet nectar that is consumed by insects and hummingbirds...that lizard was eating the insect...lizards do not bite(unless it was a gecko=one bit my finger and wont let go until my friend singed it with live coal from his cigarette)...lizards have a sticky tongue to catch their food...so I dont know how you can tell that the lizard ate your buds...
reptiles dont eat flowers or veggies...they eat insects or small mammals or fish
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
CR7cristiano's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
the buds emit sweet nectar that is consumed by insects and hummingbirds...that lizard was eating the insect...lizards do not bite(unless it was a gecko=one bit my finger and wont let go until my friend singed it with live coal from his cigarette)...lizards have a sticky tongue to catch their food...so I dont know how you can tell that the lizard ate your buds...
reptiles dont eat flowers or veggies...they eat insects or small mammals or fish
I'm afraid to say it but it was not eating an insect, I maintain a strict spraying regimen, no insects on the orchids themselves. I literally watched it eating the bloom. Sometimes they eat the roots, and even worse the sever the bloom completely from the spike.

I have read that if you wrap the base of the orchid or spike with cotton they won't go for the blooms. I'm not sure how true that is though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Zone: 6b
Location: Toms River, NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 55
Female
Default

Iguana, bearded dragons, and other lizards do eat vegetation. Even chameleons, primarily carnivores, will eat vegetation. I've watched my veiled chameleons eat the scheffelera in their enclosures.

They do have mucous membranes. I think the pepper might work a bit, they like green pepper, but that's not hot. You can either make a spray on, with traditional tabasco or other hot sauce, or make a thicker paste in a blender with whole peppers and paint it on, or sprinkle dry powder on when still wet with dew.

If that doesn't work, physical protection is your only option.

Best of luck with it.
CR7cristiano likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
CR7cristiano's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitala View Post
Iguana, bearded dragons, and other lizards do eat vegetation. Even chameleons, primarily carnivores, will eat vegetation. I've watched my veiled chameleons eat the scheffelera in their enclosures.

They do have mucous membranes. I think the pepper might work a bit, they like green pepper, but that's not hot. You can either make a spray on, with traditional tabasco or other hot sauce, or make a thicker paste in a blender with whole peppers and paint it on, or sprinkle dry powder on when still wet with dew.

If that doesn't work, physical protection is your only option.

Best of luck with it.
That sounds like it could very well work.....thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Be very careful when using hot pepper on your plants. If you have ever handled a hot pepper you may remember the burning sensation on your hands and mouth. That is the volatile oils in the pepper burning your skin. It will do the same to your plant if the pepper is applied too thick. You only need enough to cause a painful response. You can try wrapping cheesecloth around the plant.
CR7cristiano likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
CR7cristiano's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3birds View Post
Be very careful when using hot pepper on your plants. If you have ever handled a hot pepper you may remember the burning sensation on your hands and mouth. That is the volatile oils in the pepper burning your skin. It will do the same to your plant if the pepper is applied too thick. You only need enough to cause a painful response. You can try wrapping cheesecloth around the plant.
Ok thanks. I wasn't going to do it thick at all the first time around so i can observe.
But I will also try the cheesecloth
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with phalaenopsis orchid - Yellow leaves and blooms dying KrystalGem Beginner Discussion 38 05-25-2012 07:46 PM
Orange eggs in hours and someone is eating the orchid.... Adrianna Pests & Diseases 3 05-06-2012 11:32 AM
South Florida Orchid Society sweetjblue Orchid Show Announcements 0 09-27-2010 04:51 PM
Non Orchid Blooms Swamper Outdoor Gardening 5 07-17-2010 07:43 AM
Giant Orchid with 45,000 + blooms!! Tindomul Orchids in Bloom 10 08-06-2007 11:13 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0