Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but...
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but...
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 03-05-2022, 12:38 PM
thefish1337 thefish1337 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 375
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Actually, itís not.

Hormones only make up a small percentage of the active ingredients.

I have come to the conclusion that itís sort of the equivalent of a ďplant IVĒ, giving the plant a lot of the same stuff it would produce for itself, without the need to expend its own resources to do so.

Kelpak has been around for 40 years and has been used on just about every food/nut/fruit crop known, plus turf and landscaping. There is a wealth of info on their website, but none about its use on orchids, as I am apparently the first to try it (at the time, nobody at the manufacturer had any orchid experience, either), so Iím sure there are some interesting benefits we havenít ďdiscoveredĒ.
Hormones are active at very low concentrations, so I think its a hard argument to make that hormones aren't involved here. I'm inclined to agree with Camille... Plus the other biostimulant components that we now know are really important for the activity of brown kelp have hormonal like action. The company funded research to show that eckol and phloroglucinol are present in high quantities in their product and have unique biostimulant properties. Whether they act directly as hormones or indirectly to modulate them its a bit of an act of splitting hairs. The presence of micronutrients, amino acids and carbohydrates may also stimulate hormones as well.

The effects you observed, and we know are demonstrated in tomatoes and other crops are very much driven by hormonal processes. So whether the actual hormones in the kelp drove this action or whether other biostimulant properties stimulated hormonal changes in the plant... modulation of hormones are ultimately the causative effect here and your point is perhaps overly subtle.

Eckol - a new plant growth stimulant from the brown seaweed Ecklonia maxima

Physiological role of phenolic biostimulants isolated from brown
seaweed Ecklonia maxima on plant growth and development


Quantification of plant growth biostimulants, phloroglucinol and eckol,
in four commercial seaweed liquid fertilizers and some by-products
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2022, 05:00 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,616
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but... Male
Default

Where I was going was that if you compare Kelpak/KelpMax to stimulants that are primarily auxins and/or cytokinins, the same degree of stimulation occurs with much lower hormone concentrations.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes thefish1337 liked this post
  #13  
Old 03-05-2022, 08:54 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 5,211
Default

Controls and lots of trials will probably help home in on the answer. Eg. spray with regular water. And other mixes. This could take a while. But is a good start.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2022, 09:59 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,616
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but... Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Controls and lots of trials will probably help home in on the answer. Eg. spray with regular water. And other mixes. This could take a while. But is a good start.
For Kelpak and food crops, itís done and well established.

Orchids, not so much.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
For Kelpak and food crops, itís done and well established.

Orchids, not so much.
Thanks Ray. For food crops, does that refer to longer lasting blooms on food crops?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2022, 10:24 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,616
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but... Male
Default

Nobody is looking for that.

My (intended) point was that all kinds of studies have been done related to seed germination, pollen tube growth, and all sorts of other plant dynamic aspects.

Flower longevity? I donít know.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-05-2022, 10:27 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
My (intended) point was that all kinds of studies have been done related to seed germination, pollen tube growth, and all sorts of other plant dynamic aspects.

Flower longevity? I donít know.
I see. Thanks Ray. This is interesting - because if there is some pattern established for flower buds spraying, then it could also lead to interesting considerations regarding foliar spraying ----- as in possible benefits of foliar spraying.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,616
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but... Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
I see. Thanks Ray. This is interesting - because if there is some pattern established for flower buds spraying, then it could also lead to interesting considerations regarding foliar spraying ----- as in possible benefits of foliar spraying.
In many cases, foliar application is exactly what's done. The guy that used to own the US distributorship for the US owns a winery and he sprays his vines to get the rachis to elongate, allowing better spacing for fruit development and especially the penetration of fungicides.

The problem with foliar treatments in orchids - and not all orchids - is the waxy cuticle layers on the leaves. An evolutionary adaptation to reduce water loss, the cutex is a barrier that slows uptake as well. Plants with relatively thick, fleshy leaves - phalaenopsis, cattleya-types, vandas, many dendrobiums, etc. - tend to have the thicker cutices. However, they apparently develop more and more with age, suggesting immature specimens of those plants are more easily able to absorb via the foliar route.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes fishmom liked this post
  #19  
Old 03-06-2022, 03:31 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 5,211
Default

Thanks for mentioning that and explaining that Ray. That definitely makes sense. The bud spraying sounds convenient and simple enough for testing. A good candidate test for testing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2022, 09:32 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,616
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but... Male
Default

I've got to say, I don't show plants, but if this holds (no pun intended), this could be a boon to those who do.

Todayís image.
Attached Thumbnails
Very Limited Anecdotal Evidence/Coincidence, but...-3-jpg  
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!

Last edited by Ray; 03-07-2022 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blossom, days, limited, sprayed, top


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orchids Limited (orchidweb.com)-Dendrophylax Lindenii gdupont Vendor Feedback 12 05-11-2014 01:23 PM
Chip tec led lights from Orchids Limited??? greenpassion Beginner Discussion 2 08-20-2011 07:59 PM
Orchids limited is Coming to Edmonton! slipperfreak OS of Alberta 2 12-18-2009 06:15 PM
Orchids Limited AKA orchidweb.com dgenovese1 Vendor Feedback 8 08-17-2008 01:31 AM
A trip to Orchid Limited greenhouse blackorchid Vendor Feedback 7 07-27-2008 08:58 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.