Swimming in 4" Pot
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Swimming in 4" Pot
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Clawhammer Clawhammer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 219
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default Swimming in 4" Pot

I purchased a Cattleya Schroederae (after a long search for this species) and the size was described, as it often is, as a 2 years to bloom plant in a 4" pot. When I got the plant there are just two mature leaves and one new growth. It is a tiny seedling, the rhizhome is less than an 1". It is healthy.

I am not happy with the size, but I will admit I am not familiar enough with the species to dispute the 2 years to bloom claim. I can say that when I see a plant offered in a 4" pot I expect that it will be filling at least half of it, otherwise it is misleading.

Am I being unreasonable here? The other plant this vendor shipped me is the completely wrong plant and I haven't gotten a response to my email about it yet (2 days). I didn't complain about the size of my plant, but I am planning on following up today if I receive no response and may mention it. Wanted to get some second opinions first.

I will be reviewing this vendor soon and will update with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot-unnamed-60-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM
KingKong KingKong is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 47
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default

The plant has filled the pot with roots but that pot is unsuitable if it has no drainage/ventilation holes at the bottom.

The last one I got was the size of my thumb - also considerably smaller than I was expecting but it was cheap and some of my slow growing angraecums will take just as long to become blooming size.

Any orchid can be brought to flowering size (at least any I have grown - there will probably be exceptions) in 3 years so yours 2 years to flowering size could be right. Probably 3 years with less good care.

A wrong orchid on the other hand is more annoying I find - luckily hasn't happened yet touch wood, waiting for an ebay purchase to flower this year which I am pretty sure won't be what I paid for
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is online now
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 4,433
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
I purchased a Cattleya Schroederae (after a long search for this species) and the size was described, as it often is, as a 2 years to bloom plant in a 4" pot. When I got the plant there are just two mature leaves and one new growth. It is a tiny seedling, the rhizhome is less than an 1". It is healthy.

I am not happy with the size, but I will admit I am not familiar enough with the species to dispute the 2 years to bloom claim. I can say that when I see a plant offered in a 4" pot I expect that it will be filling at least half of it, otherwise it is misleading.

Am I being unreasonable here? The other plant this vendor shipped me is the completely wrong plant and I haven't gotten a response to my email about it yet (2 days). I didn't complain about the size of my plant, but I am planning on following up today if I receive no response and may mention it. Wanted to get some second opinions first.

I will be reviewing this vendor soon and will update with the outcome.
My C. schroederae is a medium-sized plant (6 inch-15 cm pseudobulbs, topped with 6 inch-15 cm leaves) and it has bloomed several times. So I would say that two years to blooming for that plant is extremely optimistic. Like in your dreams. Maybe under perfect cultural conditions It could grow fast enough to get to blooming size, but don't hold your breath.

KK, I don't see how you can see the drainage holes or lack thereof. X-ray vision? The large bark is appropriate, those roots look a bit dehydrated, but a new plant usually needs repotting on general principles. It looks like a healthy plant, just not as close to blooming as the vendor says. (In fairness though, "2 years to blooming size" does imply a pretty small plant, so still at the "guess" stage. At least they didn't call it "near-blooming size" which WOULD have been a misreprentation)
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists

Last edited by Roberta; 05-11-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Clawhammer Clawhammer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 219
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
My C. schroederae is a medium-sized plant (6 inch-15 cm pseudobulbs, topped with 6 inch-15 cm leaves) and it has bloomed several times. So I would say that two years to blooming for that plant is extremely optimistic. Like in your dreams. Maybe under perfect cultural conditions It could grow fast enough to get to blooming size, but don't hold your breath.

KK, I don't see how you can see the drainage holes or lack thereof. X-ray vision? The large bark is appropriate, those roots look a bit dehydrated, but a new plant usually needs repotting on general principles. It looks like a healthy plant, just not as close to blooming as the vendor says. (In fairness though, "2 years to blooming size" does imply a pretty small plant, so still at the "guess" stage. At least they didn't call it "near-blooming size" which WOULD have been a misreprentation)
Thanks Roberta, I thought that was the case. Thanks for the sanity check, I am going to follow up and complain about this plant too. The vendor still has an opportunity to make this right but I don't get a good feeling from the lack of response so far. Review to come soon....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2020, 12:27 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 2,020
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default

id be disappointed as that is not a 4" pot sized plant.

i cannot disagree with the 2 years to bloom because i don't know this plant but i would be very doubtful of that claim
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Clawhammer Clawhammer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 219
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default

Thanks everyone.

After a little pushback I received a full refund. What a shame, I totally would have paid a fair price for the seedling if it was represented accurately, it is healthy and hard to find.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Fairorchids's Avatar
Fairorchids Fairorchids is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Zone: 6a
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 1,928
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot Male
Default

Estimates of 'time to BS' are notoriously vague, and need to be qualified. What I can do in the greenhouse with near optimal conditions, is entirely different from what:

A.1 Hobby grower with greenhouse will achieve.
A.2 Hobby grower growing under lights in the basement will achieve.
A.3 Hobby grower growing on window sill in an apartment will achieve.

B. What an experienced hobby grower will achieve, vs. a 'newbie'.

When I sell young plants at a show, I try to be specific, such as: 'I expect it to take 18-24 months in my greenhouse, it will probably take you 24-36 months'. On Ebay, I state the longer time frame to keep it simple.
__________________
Kim (Fair Orchids)

Founder of SPCOP (Society to Prevention of Cruelty to Orchid People), with the goal of barring the taxonomists from tinkering with established genera!

I am neither a 'lumper' nor a 'splitter', but I refuse to re-write millions of labels.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes WaterWitchin, Jeff214 liked this post
  #8  
Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 AM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,761
Default

Very well stated Kim.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2020, 03:19 PM
Clawhammer Clawhammer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 219
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairorchids View Post
Estimates of 'time to BS' are notoriously vague, and need to be qualified. What I can do in the greenhouse with near optimal conditions, is entirely different from what:

A.1 Hobby grower with greenhouse will achieve.
A.2 Hobby grower growing under lights in the basement will achieve.
A.3 Hobby grower growing on window sill in an apartment will achieve.

B. What an experienced hobby grower will achieve, vs. a 'newbie'.

When I sell young plants at a show, I try to be specific, such as: 'I expect it to take 18-24 months in my greenhouse, it will probably take you 24-36 months'. On Ebay, I state the longer time frame to keep it simple.
Thanks for sharing your thought process, it sounds like the fair approach.

I was mostly annoyed with the 4" pot descriptor, as this denotes a nearly mature cattleya. This lil guy has a rhizhome that is maybe an inch long at best which is really misleading. If the number of leaves is two less than the inch diameter of the pot I think a refund is in order
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes DirtyCoconuts liked this post
  #10  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:58 PM
Fairorchids's Avatar
Fairorchids Fairorchids is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Zone: 6a
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 1,928
Swimming in 4&quot; Pot Male
Default

Using the pot size as a guide, you would reasonably expect that the plant is potted in a suitably sized pot. That was clearly not the case here.
__________________
Kim (Fair Orchids)

Founder of SPCOP (Society to Prevention of Cruelty to Orchid People), with the goal of barring the taxonomists from tinkering with established genera!

I am neither a 'lumper' nor a 'splitter', but I refuse to re-write millions of labels.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
plant, pot, response, size, species


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3" - 4" Clay Orchid Pots ReneeFLL Beginner Discussion 9 04-22-2020 06:31 AM
Stubby is swimming with the fishes lauraeli Beginner Discussion 60 08-02-2014 11:27 AM
Sitting here, my head swimming........ james mickelso Beginner Discussion 7 03-25-2014 07:00 AM
Head swimming with questions about water bethmarie Beginner Discussion 15 09-19-2012 08:07 AM
Swimming in plants vickyth Beginner Discussion 23 12-01-2009 02:11 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.