Media preparation for home orchid flasking. A step by step guide to mother flasking.
This method is based on Lottes and Thomas asymbiotic germination technique and the homeflasking method I found on the net. I will post an article about sowing seeds from a green pod in a few weeks ! Hope you like it ! This media is use for mother flasking ! I`m using another medium for replating.
You will need:
Baby food jars and lids ( Washed and soak overnight in Bleach solution then washed again )
KLN ( or rooting hormone)
Nitric acid ( To adjust the PH level )
PH meter or PH paper strip
Measuring spoon and scale
1. Pots are washed and put on a cookie sheet for sterilization in the oven at 300 F for 30 minutes.
2. Preparation is prepare...
1 Liter of distilled water ( RO water is ok too )
¼ teaspoon of MSU fertilizer or any other kind
20 ML of fructose ( 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon)
0.2 ML of SuperThrive
0.2 ML of KLN
3. Adjust the PH to 5.6 and boil preparation for 1 or 2 minutes to dissolve fertilizer
4. Measure the agar agar ( 6 Gram per liter , about 1 ½ ounce )
5. Pour agar agar and let boil for another 2 minutes.
6. Let cool down pots and preparation for 5 minutes
7. Pour media into pots, screw the lids loosely on the flasks.
8. Put the flasks in oven again, for 30 minutes at 300 F.
9. Let the flasks cool down, screw the lids tightly and date the pots. Cover the top with foil and wait 5 days to make sure that they are sterile.
10. The flask, a few hour later, with the media solidified!